Should I buy or rent a home?

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by rob, Dec 11, 2013.

1. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

Should you buy a house or rent? Many young people have aspirations to be home owners, but it's often due to the concept of home ownership being drilled into our brains as a life achievement. In reality, you might be better off continuing to rent!

Here's one great tool - a Buy or Rent Calculator - to help you decide:
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html

There are lots of variables here, but hopefully it provides some clarity. Don't but a home because it's "what you're supposed to do"... do it because it's the smart thing to do and because it's what you want to do!
    Tags:
  2. phases

phases Administrator Staff Member

Buy buy buy buy buy. There is no question.

Would you rather be putting your money toward a roof over your head every month and NOT build any equity or own property in the end? This is a no brainer. If you can rent, you can buy. (Payment wise, maybe not credit wise.) And if you can buy - you'd be a fool to rent!
  3. Howard Steyn

Howard Steyn New Member

Well, my answer is Yes and definitely for sure it is better to buy a home rather than to rent it. It is kind of an investment if you think it from a positive note that is can reap you benefit. I can say from my experience because I bought a small house from this owner - fortress real development and it came out to be of much valuable in a very short period of time.

Though the company later turned out to be a fraud but by the time I was saved from it because I sold that one and got a big house instead. So, if you are thinking of investing in real sector then be sure not to do that mistake what I did. Do a background check on the organization, its reputation in market, stock prices. This will help you in getting a clear image of the company.
  4. Cameron_Jacobs

Cameron_Jacobs New Member

Definitely BUY! If you're renting, you could stay for 10-15 years, get no returns on "investment" but whoever you're paying is making a chunk of change off you. You're paying the bills for someone to sit back and watch money come in, when you buy a house you're investing in something, you will own something, barring something crazy of course. Eventually 15-30 years down the road, you own it, you can do as you please with it, hell you could eventually move use the house as rental property.